Saturday, October 22, 2016

Boy, oh Boy where has the time Gone!

It's gone to additional medical issues. I did get an air boot instead of a regular cast. Thank heavens too. I ended up having two splints as the heel broke on the first one and second one was put on badly and made a mess of the ankle and scarred up the skin.  When it came time to get a cast, the orthopedic doc was dismissed from the clinic. I ended up seeing an orthopedic surgeon but he is suppose to be a great plastic surgeon. I wore that boot off and on into July.

June I saw dental problems and had one molar pulled and another was scheduled to be pulled; but, other issues darted their big heads up. My seroma, that is located where I had the lumpectomy and radiation had turned into a hematoma and was increasingly getting bigger. When I saw my regular oncologist in July, he recommended having a complete mastectomy. Here it is almost November and no mastectomy and still have the hematoma, although it feels to be getting smaller.

In July, the ankle gave me some problems with breaking out in an ugly rash. Other medical issues were starting to develop with my housemate Jim, so the rash got put on the back burner and I just kept putting stuff on it to take away the itch. I finally got into see my primary and she gave me some lotion to put on it and that lotion finished the job I had started.

In late July, Jim was really having trouble with his back, so off to doc we went and he was given some meds for his back spasms.  Pretty soon the poor guy was totally out of touch with what was going on around him - he was in a constant state of confusion. I cut his meds in half with no improvement, then cut the half into fourths, then quit. His home health nurse and I were just aghast at what had happened to him.

One morning he was in really bad pain and I asked him if he wanted to go to ER - YES he said, can I call the ambulance to get you there because he was too much for me to handle - YES he said. So we spent 4 or 5 hours in the ER and he must have had every test that is available. He was finally admitted to the hospital here in town and then the next day, after consultation with several other docs, he was taken to Memorial Medical Center hospital in Las Cruces.

He was severely de-hydrated and that had started the ball rolling on a bunch of other problems. He has gallstones, but they weren't of importance at the moment, perhaps had had a small heart attack, his kidneys were declining rapidly, bladder infection and the pancreas was in an "itis" form. He spent a week at Memorial and then was transferred to rehab back home and spent 3 weeks there. He finally got the point of understanding where he was and was ready to go home and that was in early September.

Coming home was the best medicine he could have. He still has memory problems but gets around with his cane and can fix a meal or two for himself, does his laundry, is handling showers pretty good by himself and is back to sleeping in a bed.  He got so use to sleeping in his recliner and that elevated position from the hospital and rehab, he wondered if he could adjust back to a bed. He has a home health nurse that comes in twice a week and a physical therapist once a week.

We interrupted everything by taking a week to go back to Kansas to see daughter Juno and the Day of Caring she chaired this year.  Day of Caring is held each October during Breast Cancer Awareness month and her support group, SOS, puts it on each year. The event is a brunch followed by a fashion show. The models are all breast cancer survivors and have a lot of fun doing their "walk" down the aisle. Son was suppose to go with us but instead had to stay home because for his 50th birthday present to himself, he had strep throat. It was so good to see her and meet her new dog Sam. He likes my ear rubs. And I got to finally meet some of the SOS sisters that have been so good for me through my ordeals. That meeting opportunity gave me great comfort.
Daughter Juno, her dad Jim and Sam

Ahhh, mom and daughter

Sam likes my ear rubs.

Upon arriving home, we started a week of doctor appointments and my nose surgery.  I saw my radiation oncologist and he said to "go fly my wings and live"; Jim was to see a nephrologist about his kidney as a follow-up but the rehab center made the appointment with the wrong one; Jim then saw a lung doc and was now officially diagnosed with moderate COPD and given new meds to take (already can see the difference).

That brings us to my nose job.  Well it was necessary, as had a big basal cell carcinoma on the left side of my nose - hence the nose job. It was done by a plastic surgeon in  Las Cruces and it remains to be seen how it is going to turn out.  Right now it is a mess. I have my Halloween mask on already.

And one ugly mess.
To finish out the year, we have 3 follow-up doctor appointments and the one with the nephrologist and we hope that is all we have. Okay, that is enough as it is time for my morning coffee and to enjoy the sunrise.
Some flowers I managed to grow.


  1. Quite a year you have had. May 2017 bring you less medical issues, and many, many more happy days.

    1. Thank you Jerry. The medical issues seem to be slowing down and we actually have 3 weeks to the next doctor appts!

  2. Well it's no wonder you haven't posted in such a long time. I sure hope everything turns around for the better now. Hang in there I will be thinking of you

    1. It just became so dismal when I started writing about all the events, that I stopped. We did learn last Thurs Jim will be going on his hormone therapy shots as his PSA is rising again (been 1-1/2 yrs since the last shot) and it is time for another bone density test and complete body bone scan to see if his prostate cancer has spread to other parts of the body, other than the upper left arm and left hip. The hormone shots go after his testosterone, which the cancer feeds on - like estrogen blockers do for women.