Monday, September 21, 2015

Ahhhhhh, the Enjoyment of Sleeping In!

 Ha - Sleep in? Call getting up sometime between 6 and 7 a.m. sleeping in? Well I guess considering it was 5 a.m. when I got up during work days.

What am I doing? Well, a little of this and a little of that. I have projects and am trying real hard not to rush to get them all done at once. 
He really is protecting my "grass".
This little guy in my yard was left by former owner Chuck and Geri and he is so cute. His little sign was weather worn so he has a new sign now and he is getting re-painted. Notice the "grass" he is protecting.

I have been getting my bird feeding stations ready for the winter feeding season.  I have started putting out some seed and of course my feathered friends want MORE, MORE, MORE. The hummingbirds are here but can tell many are passing through on their southward journey. I saw our first southbound flight of geese several weeks ago - three weeks earlier than last year.  The yellow finches showed up a couple of weeks ago and they are so much fun to watch. Jim just loves their constant cheeping. And we have the Gambel Quail. I just love how they move in single file where ever they go. You will just have to visualize all these birds as I never have my camera with me, I just sit out on the bench under the mulberry tree, drinking my morning coffee, and watch all the antics going on.

I have also been trimming my cactus hedge.  They are creeping up over my neighbor's metal roofed sheds, so it's trim time. 
Not into eating cactus, too much work!
Using a hedge trimmer doesn't work too good (it is also messy) so I use my trusted garden rake and pull, pull, pull. Once in a while a saw comes in handy too. How many of my readers get to trim a cactus hedge?

I have met my surgeon who will do my breast cancer surgery on Thurs 9/24. Dr Maria Halsted is a very likable person and ignoring all the big words she used I understood a lot of what she was telling me - especially the word "if".  I feel I am in very capable hands.

My very "astute" brother (he will laugh at that word) will be coming to visit in early October. I can hardly wait as it has been 4 years since I have seen him. This is the main reason why I wanted my surgery a couple of weeks before he gets here.  Then I want to be able to do things when daughter Juno comes to visit over the Thanksgiving holidays and my radiation treatments will be over with by then.

One Sunday, I took some time  and went up to a little town called Hillsboro, located about 35 miles SW of here and up against the foothills of the Black Range Mountains. The community was having home tours and an antique dealers show. I had a great time and visited with lots of neat folks. Had one of the best green chile cheeseburgers and homemade fries at the General Store Cafe on the main street. Here are some slides I took:
Current community center, former high school

Where I had the most delicious green chile cheeseburger - a NM tradition.

First country courthouse for Sierra County, before moving to Truth or Consequences.

Jailhouse

Artist gate.

Typical home behind a rock wall to protect from flooding between two creeks.

Typical home built in the late 1800's.



The drive home  was beautiful. Looking eastward toward the various mountain ranges toward the Sacramento Mountains.


6 comments:

  1. Those prickly pair cactus are a pain in the neck. I had 2 at another house I owned and the trunks were like huge trees already. Took for ever to get rid of them.

    I'm glad your feeling good about your surgen and I will be thinking of you on the surgery day. Sending well wishes and a very good out come

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your thoughts. Yes, some of those cactus "branches" are huge, almost as big around as a tree as you said. Their flowers are beautiful and there were a lot of them this year. Should be a lot of fruit for the critters this winter.

      Delete
  2. Wishing you well on your journey. We have a lady friend that just went through the same ordeal and has started chemo. She had some rough days, but things are improving daily. Will keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jerry. Glad to hear your friend is improving and please tell her I am cheering for her. It is a hiccup for me right now.

      Delete
  3. Will be thinking of you on Thursday & hoping the experience is as smooth and pain-free as it can be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lynne. I might indulge for a day, maybe half a day longer but then will get bored! Thinking of you too.

      Delete