Thursday, June 19, 2014

Too Pooped To Write Anything. . .

By the time I get home from working in the garden center at WalMart, am exhausted and my writing desire doesn't surface.  At least I don't work in the heat of the afternoon except maybe one day a week when a plant shipment comes in, then I stay and help get the plants down off the racks and water them as quickly as possible.  Not easy on those plants when they come off a refrigerated truck into 90+º weather.  Some do okay, others are hard to revive and they often become not sellable.

I spend almost 4 hours watering - at one point when the temperatures were in the 100's - around 20,000 plants!  It was hard to keep up with the heat when we had those 100º days as we learned that under the "sunshade" it often got up to 120º!  Now that the temperatures have dropped down into the mid-90's, the surviving plants are showing new growth.  But unfortunately, so many of the plants we receive will not do well here - boston ferns, gardenias, to name a few.

But, we have been told by many a customer that we have the most beautiful garden center in all of southern New Mexico!  And, it smells sooooo good when I go in in the morning.

It's been a bit tough on me physically, especially my left knee and ankle but I have wraps that help.  We are supplied with lots of cold water and suntan lotion; and, I like to spray myself once in awhile! 

Tomorrow is a long day as a shipment is due in, so it is off to bed for me.

3 comments:

  1. I sure wish your house would sell soon. I'm sure you do too. I noticed the Lowe's here has added fans with misters it sure help being out there. I have pretty much lost all my plants already to this nasty heat.

    Wishing you well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just now catching up on my blog reading. Glad you were able to get a work location you enjoy. The "waterin' girl" sounds like a great job to have in the Summer time. Hope you have some success on the house really soon. Definitely not any fun owning two places.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering how you were doing, Emily. I appreciate the update, although I wish the job wasn't so tiring.

    ReplyDelete