Monday, March 17, 2014

Whoa, I Learned Something New. . . .

Thanks to reader Lynne, I learned my
Creeping Forsythia
Creeping Forsythia shrub is not so.  Lynne asked if the plant was similar to a Winter Jasmine.  I got curious last night as to what the difference was and here is what I found


Upon closer examination, this morning of the remaining 3 flowers, this is what I saw: A singular six-petal flower that had emerged from a joint where leaves would eventually emerge; unlike a cluster of 4-petal flowers of the Forsythia. I was not familiar with Winter Jasmine.  Sounds like similar care and treatment.  Thanks Lynne.

5 comments:

  1. Emily, we certainly share a passion for plants....glad it was easy for you to ID.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great discovery! Does the winter jasmine have any of that characteristic jasmine fragrance?

    When I was growing up, we had was a night blooming jasmine under my bedroom window. Lying in bed breathing in that fragrance is one of my most blissful childhood memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't recall a fragrance and read that some people do detect a slight fragrance and others don't. I'll put them to the "nose" test next year! There is only 1 bloom left and it didn't smell. Oh the fragrance of a night blooming jasmine that's hard to forget.

      Delete
  3. We have jasmine blooming all along our picket fence out front. I haven't noticed a fragrance though!! It would be wonderful to have a sweet fragrance right outside a window....great memory maker!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to make sure my "sniffer" is working next year - night time would be a good time to tell. I am making headway to transplant clumps along the alley. Keeping my fingers crossed they set and grow. Take care you guys.

      Delete