Wednesday, February 19, 2014

It Is Hard to Stay Inside - in February.

I am not use to this. February, I am doing yard work? I haven't planted any flowers yet as I have been told by my son and others that there is, for the most part, one more hard freeze or cold snap this Winter - anytime from late February to mid-March. So I am planning.

For several months I have been reading up on local plants, drought tolerant plants and shrubs. Flowers and shrubs that attract butterflies, hummingbirds, colorful and as I said drought tolerant and adaptable to this area and zone. I am saving soda and water bottles that I can incorporate as watering devices in my potted flowering plants;
Tin can luminaries on cinder block wall. Center & right
are painted, left is not.  Right & left have patterns
punched out. Center's light just shines downward.
experimenting with tin cans on the cinder block wall as luminaries and pathway lights using solar yard lights. Besides the many cans of spray paint Geri & Chuck left, I had quite a few too, so will be experimenting with lots of colors on the wall. I would like to add a decorative back splash type thingies around each one.  Am still experimenting with different ways to put them up so they will stay.

I have fixed a large plastic juice jug, filled with water, over the birds' watering hole to create a slow filling device. If the stream of water is fast enough I have seen a couple of birds sit under the stream. For the most part, I set it so it does a fast drip which has to be adjusted periodically as the level of water decreases and the air temperature increases. I learned that doves will siphon their water up through their bills and swallow with their heads down, unlike most birds we see dipping their bills in the water and then lifting their heads to swallow.

My cookbook organizer - a former dish rack.
Former owner Geri left behind a metal dish drainer. I have held onto it thinking there would be some use for it someday. I prefer dish drainers that sit down in the sink is why am not using it. This became a project, hmmm what is it good for. Well one day 3 or 4 weeks ago I was trying to stack my cookbooks, that I had decided to keep, in an orderly manner. Light bulb went off - the dish drainer as my cookbook organizer!  Works beautiful, keeps them upright, from sliding all over and right where I can easily see them. The silverware cup holder holds pencils, pens, scissors, etc.

For those of you of the senior age (or you are carrying for elderly folks/parents) you know there are "aids" to help us maneuver - bathtub rails, the wave-style door handles for easier gripping - and painting the edge of steps for our deteriorating eyes to see in daytime and nighttime. A few nights ago I was sitting out on the patio after dark just enjoying the sounds and sights of the nighttime. I hadn't turned the outside light on and when I went to put my foot down on the bottom step to go inside, I misjudged. Thank heavens I was holding onto the railing. In the dark it was hard to see the edge of the step - sooooo painted step edges became another project.

Much better, even in daylight. No more bruised shins.

Okay, that is enough for now. I am trying to learn to put only one space after a period, so please excuse me if you find two (oh horrors) spaces after a period. I may just give up and revert to the old typewriter method we were taught many moons ago.  What is wrong with that?  It got us by for many years. I guess it just dates us.

12 comments:

  1. Emily, how did you attach the cans to the wall. That is going to look cool.

    I like the yellow on the steps. That looks safer. Plus, it looks pretty with the color. I will show it to Larry and I bet we do that this spring. If we were down there, we'd be doing it now.

    Always love reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet, there are existing bolts in the wall and am using them. These three have slits up the backs of the cans big enough for the bolt heads. Then have used a stickly type tape on the back. I will be drilling more holes to take the other 8-10 I want to put up. The color on the steps really shows up at night in the dark.

      Delete
  2. Those steps are much better and safer!!! Sounds like you are truly getting ready for spring!!! I just can't wait..it has been a long hard winter!!
    Love the dish drainer idea!!! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you're lovin' that place like we did! The forsthyias bloomed well I see! Like what you're doing, great idea on the stairs. Chuckles

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love to re purpose stuff! Congrats on the cookbook drainer! Sounds like you are enjoying the "winter" in NM.
    Looking forward to seeing flower pictures in a few months, or maybe a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Lynne - on the flowers. The cactus will be pretty to watch too.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you are really enjoying your new home. Yep, Spring is just around the corner. First tornado watch of the year posted here for this evening. Looking forward to seeing more of you projects as the weather warms up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Jerry - tornado watch, I hope I forget about them! Not enough that I don't forget to stay away from certain areas at certain times of the year. I am hoping one of my projects includes getting away with Eggie for a few days in the next few months.

      Delete
  6. I love the idea for the steps! Smart! The water to the bird bath is another great idea! NM is bringing out great creative ideas you had tucked inside! We are so glad you are happy in our old place! We loved it too, but family called.... Florida winters aren't too bad either! Geri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Geri.
      Just knew all this creative stuff was lurking inside, it just needed the right environment. It is fun and am just brimming with ideas. Am sitting here this morn, watching about 20+ Gold Finches enjoy breakfast. The finches are the biggest user of the watering hole.

      Delete
  7. The cookbook organizer is a great solution! But the step painting is brilliant!

    I have put two spaces after my periods for over 50 years, so I doubt I'll ever stop. If it bothers someone, I figure they need to get a life! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon, those steps have been a bonus for us. Yup, on the two spaces - I don't need the stress of remembering. It's enough stress remembering what I am suppose to remember!

      Delete