Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Personalizing - A Little

Cabinet handle in middle of door.
I HAVE NEVER understood why some cabinet makers put the handle for the door in the middle of the door.  It's not natural to reach waaaay up there or waaaay down there. Alas, the handles on the kitchen cabinet doors were - well you know where. .


AFTER UNCOUNTABLE times of tearing fingernails, pinching fingers at grabbing the logical corner of the cupboard door, I decided to move the handles.  Previous owner Geri had painted them a copper color and I didn't want to change that theme, so I moved the handles down to the logical spot! The holes from the previous position are really not that noticeable but knowing me I'll do something artsy/crafty with the holes - eventually (or fill with wood glue). . . .  The kitchen handles are moved and I just have the bathroom ones to go.
Cabinet door handles moved, so much better now.


GERI TOLD ME that the heating duct vents that run along the wall edge had been disconnected from the main heating duct work that runs down the center of the mobile home (probably when the new furnace was installed 7 or 8 years ago).  Well, one windy day there was so much wind blowing up through the one by the desk, that papers were blowing all over the place. And the air was COLD. Only thing I could figure out was the ends of the disconnected duct work was left open and air could blow up inside.  I remembered that there were a couple of wide/long magnetic strips on the washer, so I cut those to fit over the vent openings; purchased some more magnetic strips and cut them to fit the vent openings. What a difference it made inside and the furnace didn't cycle near as often.
The magnetic strip covers the whole vent - look you can see
the avocado green carpeting!
ON THE SAME NOTE, there are two furnace floor vents in my smaller bedroom. I definitely didn't need both vents blowing hot air at me and with the furnace right next to my room, the blower was giving its all to get that hot air delivered - whew.  It needed to be delivered to the other end of the mobile home almost as good as I was getting it. The vent closers weren't doing any good.  So I brought one of the stepping stone bricks in and covered the vent, located right by my bed, with the brick.  Guess what, I have a nice foot warmer!  My TV watching chair is conveniently close to my new foot warmer.
My foot warmer.  Really the socks do match!
Next posting, SPRING is springing forth - already!  It's only January for heavens sake. Please break me in gradually to spring coming earlier than I am use to.

4 comments:

  1. What a brilliant idea to move the handles. Isn't it funny what a huge difference something like that can make?

    And the foot warmer is a cozy idea! Wish I had one tonight! :)

    Thanks again for the picture of the cabinet latch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job moving the handles lower.
    I had a swamp cooler besides the a/c unit. I was always having trouble with the cooler so I just did away with it. But since the cooler was on the ground behind the house it had it's own set of floor vents. Even with the pan sealing the hole I could still feel the air coming up like you experienced . I had a box in the shed so I cut the size of the vent and slid the cardboard in over the vent between the useless slats. Work like a charm. Your foot warmer is great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen handles in the middle of cabinet doors before and wondered why??? I think your idea of moving them to the more normal place was a GREAT idea!!!!
    A foot warmer would be nice here tonight as well. :-) Already tired of cold weather!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have never seen handles in the middle of doors, before. Good job on moving them. Yep, Spring is on the way. Just commented to Wanda tonight on how the days are getting noticeably longer. Stay warm.:-)

    ReplyDelete