Sunday, January 26, 2014

And Spring is Just Around the Corner - - Maybe, Depends on How Big That Corner Is

I hadn't even got out of bed when I took this one
from my bedroom window.
A BEAUTIFUL sunrise Thursday morning - tried to get some pictures of what I was seeing but my camera is just not up to par.  Clouds were coming in from the south that morning and that evening they were coming back from the northeast due to the Low moving eastward. The sunset was even more spectacular then this morning.  You'll just have to use your imagination on beautiful desert sunsets - I'll help a little with lots of oranges, reds, purples, blues.

Even with the water frozen, he still manages to
get a drink.
I SAW MY first robin this week and he is happily using the little bird dish I left on the ground and fill with water every few days.  I am starting to see hummingbird feeders up around town - seems a little bit early but I might put one up in a couple of weeks. Previous owner Geri left me her feeders and so will use them.  She was able to attract lots of different birds so I hope to keep up the tradition.

CHARGED UP the big humidifier last week.  My ears have been giving me trouble the last couple of weeks and doc says the air tubes from the middle ear are getting plugged up. He said to go back on my allergy pills and fire up the ole humidifier. I am hoping at some point to get the small humidifiers for our bedrooms.  Jim has a small personal one he uses at night and he says it helps him at night.  All part of adjusting to the new climate and the dryness.

JIM AND I drove out to explore around Elephant Butte.  A couple of Saturdays ago there was a celebration at the Elephant Butte Island to celebrate water totally surrounding the Island.  One could ride a boat shuttle out to the Island.  We checked it out last week and the sand spit is back and the Island isn't surrounded by water.  The number of RV and boats (some pretty big ones too) in storage overwhelmed Jim.  He's never seen so many in one place before.

I FINISHED moving all the cabinet door handles to the usable position; and, now working on income tax forms.  If it's like the previous 4 or 5 years for us, we won't be filing any forms again.  Sure reading a lot of books on the Kindle I won from Casita Forum last year.  I really like it. I go for the freebies and have a pretty good list of new authors to follow now.  So when I get to the point I can spend more than 99¢ on a book, will buy some of their books.

A WEEK ago, the three creeping forsythia bushes started blooming. Here is that start and below it is how much more it has opened up - even with below freezing temperatures at night.  Course the 60º (and even a couple of 70º days) days have helped.

Hope it becomes covered with little yellow flowers.
This little guy come into my folks family some where along the way. It was from my maternal side and belonged to my grandparents.  I remember my grandmother ringing it when it was time to eat, on those occasions when we would visit Nana and Bopar in Norris TN. It has a very sharp and clear ring so you can hear it far away. I don't know if my brother remembers it or not; but I am using it today to summon Jim when dinner is ready.  He often didn't hear me the first time I hollered dinner/supper was ready because of furnace noise, TV noise, ears not as good, etc.  His bedroom (he lives in it) is at the other end of the mobile home from the kitchen - hence the dinner bell.  I hear him chuckle almost every time I ring it.  I know nothing about it as there are no markings, signature, etc.  He's a cute little thing and I like him as he comes with memories.
Okay already, it's time to eat!

15 comments:

  1. It's so encouraging to hear Hummingbird feeders are going up (even if a bit too early) and Forsythia are blooming. This makes me know spring has not forgotten to return. It has been so horribly cold here in Georgia!! Cute little guy to ring when its time for dinner!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am feeling for all of you going thru another bad winter. I am sending this out to all my east coast relatives and friends - believe me Spring is coming, She's just having some rough stuff to get thru.

      Delete
  2. Nothing blooming here. More snow/sleet forecast for Tuesday and Wednesday. Love the little bell. Would be great to know its history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There seems to be a "dividing" line for early Spring weather and your weather. Hang in there guys, Spring is coming. We did get down to 22º early this morning, so Ole Man Winter is still holding on.

      Delete
  3. Check your local library to see if they have eBooks you can get for your Kindle. That's what I do. Sometimes you have to be on a wait list, but I haven't paid for a book between the library and free books from Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't been to the local library yet but plan on finding out if they do have eBooks. Thanks for reminding me. I have found enough free books thru Amazon to keep me busy reading thru the winter.

      Delete
  4. I do indeed remember that little bell. Am glad you have it. Bro

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! I love the positive notes....spring is coming and hearing about the flowers. Do believe we share a passion for plants.
    The info about the ears is informative....my mom is having problems...it may be related to the unusual cold and dryness.
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes Lynne, Spring is coming. We are traditionally have another hard freeze either in Feb or March, according to locals, so am a little bit concerned about the budding shrubs. My morning robin seems to be bringing in some friends as well as the dove that has started showing up. Speaking of Mr Robin, he just showed up for the 6th time this morning.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful sunrise, a little robin, forsythia blooms on the way, and an heirloom dinner bell... your post made me smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good. The robin's returns this morning are bringing a smile to my face. I've gone out twice to break the ice so he can drink. I have a jug, with a small hole in it, that I hangs over the water. It drips onto the water making a dripping sound as well as breaks the surface of the water - all suppose to be actions that attract the birds. I bring it in at night so the water in the jug doesn't freeze.

      Delete
  7. Your sunrise had beautiful color. Yes Spring for us is coming. It has been great weather so far. Today they claimed it was going to be in the 80's I'm not sure about that. I had t change into sweat pants after I ran some errands. Oh well good weather to get my butt out and clean up the camper.

    We don't have Robins in southern AZ. But we do have some delightful birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My temp here at the home got up to 80º and it was LOVELY. I have been thinning out my cactus, mentally planting some new plants. Spring fever can be frustrating.

      Delete
  8. We live in the pacific northwest, snow in the mountains tonight and rain like there will be no tomorrow if we don't get the precipitation we truly truly need, this summer will be a living hell of humidity and dry bone dry, water restrictions and the strawberries, corn, green beans and wine grapes will rott actually! We are nearing drought conditions, I have lived here for nearly 36 years come this june, and this is the driest I ever remember, we got snow one week ago, not enough for the reservoirs so the snow falling now is a God-send!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't care when spring gets here as long as we get some precipitation plain and simple..no water no plants, no wine, no people working in agriculture which is big in Oregon and Washington and it affects the Salmon and seafood in the region toooooo...I pray daily for rain and more rain, I don't even care about snow and ice, we stay inside and are semi-retired to boot, we are okay with it, like I said no rain, precipitation no farming, no agriculture..nothing and when the heat hits it is like a season in HELL, so let it rain!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just wish there was some kind of trans-continental pipe line system that would transport water from one area of the country to the other where it is needed. The tremendous snow water of the east to the west. It is done with oil pipe lines. . . .

    ReplyDelete