Saturday, November 23, 2013

We Got Snow in Da Desert

BEEN waiting until the weather got "nasty" and I had to stay inside, to write another entry in my blog.  Meanwhile, I just keep doing stuff outside, inside and where ever when this beautiful weather allows.

WE HAVE had several nice rains and I have to remember that the "rains" here are different than in Kansas.  I guess I would call them more like desert squalls - in, dump rain, and gone.  The mulberry tree is shedding its leaves and I "raked" up the leaves.  I have never "raked" up leaves on a gravel yard before using a leaf blower - like chasing a herd of cats.  I got it figured out.  I have trimmed a Mormon Tea bush that has grown into the alley because the trash truck is running over the bush in its trek to getting to the trash dumpster.

MUCH LATER: It's snowing, its snowing right now.  Took a couple of pictures of the snow coming down and a couple cactus plants in the yard:
The "beavertail", as I call it.

Yucca in snow

Yucca still blooming in the "bloomin" snow

Truck partially under the carport cover.
DO YA think I am excited?  Yup.  It's 28 degrees outside and the wind is blowing; but it doesn't feel like a Kansas 28┬║ with the wind blowing.

UNPACKING of boxes is pretty much done, just a couple more to go.  Still some odds and ends I need to put somewhere but not in big rush.

Picture I took of living room awhile back; and
now.  Much better but not done.
HERE IS a view out my kitchen window (before snow natch):
Now if I could just move that pole.  That red splotch
just to the middle right, is our life flight helicopter.  It
is pretty close and stationed at the hospital.

Okay, gotta go back outside to see how much more there is.  Have a good evening.

11 comments:

  1. I was wondering how you were adapting to your new home. Looks like you are doing great! Love the snow.

    And your living room sure does look different! :)

    Hope the holiday season will be happy and exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope holiday will be happy too Sharon. Nothing exciting for us, we'll go out for our T-day dinner - nothing to clean up.

      Delete
  2. Great to see you have things going your way. Snow in the desert. That's got to be awesome. Happy Thanksgiving....jc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same back at your house. Hope it is an enjoyable holiday for you two.

      Delete
  3. So how often does it snow there? Surely hope we do not see any white stuff as we travel through the desert this winter!
    Looks like you are settling in, are you missing the Kansas winter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynne. Not sure how often we get snows like this one - it did close sections of I-10 but for only 1 night. We got more snow here then south of us - Las Cruces, Deming, El Paso. We are 70 miles north of Cruces. I read our "average" snowfall here is 2 inches and we had close to 5 inches, so we had next year's snow too! And NO to the KS winter. As Geri posted, this will be gone in a couple of days. Let me know when you'll be in the area.

      Delete
  4. Lynn, I drove along I-40, April 27 one year through part of NM and there'd been a big ice storm. Very dangerous situation. But Emily is a lot further south from that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emily, I love what you've done. It looks so cozy and comfy. Love the cover on the coffee table too. Is that a hope chest?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janet. Yes, that's my mom's cedar chest and had become my hope chest and now it's my cedar chest. I rotate my rugs thru there - hang out for display and use, then store them for awhile while I bring out others. It's gotten comfy real quick.

      Delete
  6. I am a new reader to your blog...found it through some other Casita blogs. Looking forward to reading and catching up. Snow in the desert...wow!! I think I would have been excited too. I bet it was pretty!! I love the view from your kitchen window...very nice!
    We have a blog as well. We started our blog several years ago when we were full-timing. We are now doing what we really love...camping in our Casita!! I don't blog as often as I used to, only when there is something to say. Hope we can stay in touch!!
    Have fun with your new home!! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Happytrails, glad you joined me. I have seen your "name" on several other blogs we follow together. I semi-fulltimed ( is there such a thing?) a number of years ago -5/6 years ago - and then circumstances changed. I still have Eggie and hope with my move here to TorC I can venture out with him again. I don't post to my blog often either and am like you - when there is something interesting. Hope to talk with you again.

      Delete