Sunday, September 29, 2013

We are in The Land of Enchantment

We aren't "home" yet, but in Clayton NM for the night.  We hooked up with US-56 at Dodge City Ks and took 56 all the way here.  Not much to "write home about".  Daughter Juno, son Jim and I took turns driving either the pickup or the U-Haul with no problems.

Son and housemate stayed at the local Days Inn for a couple of nights since the beds were packed in the truck.  I stayed in my little trailer and daughter stayed at home.  The last night, presented us with a whopper of a thunderstorm that had my little trailer just a jumping around.  I did not put the stabilizers down so he was a bit bouncy.

Earlier in the day the carpets had been cleaned and I was advised to keep the ceiling fans on and the windows open as long as possible.  So I went to bed with the windows open.  In fact, I was so tired I went to bed at 7:30 p.m.

At 9:30 I was awakened by the sound of a few rain drops on the trailer roof - ah, should I go in and shut the windows or should I just stay here snuggled in my nice bed in the trailer.  I got up and went and closed the windows.  Was I glad I did as at around 12:30, the storm hit and the winds blew with big gusts of wind - now was the time I could stay snuggled in my bed with warm blankets around me as this was a norther with cold winds.
The storm system was pretty widespread as we encountered rain puddles here in New Mexico yesterday.

Today (Sunday) we head for Socorro and spend the night at son's home and then south to Truth or Consequences Monday morning.  Geri and Chuck will be happily (she says) awaiting us and to help us with the unloading( maybe not as much when they see the 130+ boxes loaded in the U-Haul).  Here's hoping that goes much faster then the loading.

6 comments:

  1. Great news. Safe travels the rest of the way. know you cant wait to get there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right Jerry. Tomorrow won't come soon enough. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. Drive safely and take care of yourself.....don't overdo with the boxes! Looking forward to hearing more about the Land of Enchantment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, let's see Lynne - I am Enchanted already.

      Delete
  3. Isn't it a wonderful feeling to be snugged up in a Casita wrapped up in warm blankets while it storms outside? It feels like a safe, cozy little cocoon to me.

    I'm looking forward to hearing about your arrival at your new home. And I am so happy for you to finally have made it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon. This morning we are starting to stir, coffee is brewing and by mid-morning we'll either be finally getting down the road or already there. We don't push ourselves too hard anymore - right?

      Delete