Sunday, February 3, 2013

Justa Bakin' up a Storm

Today I made my favorite scones:  Cinnamon Chip Scones.  I like the recipe because it doesn't call for buttermilk, which a number of the cinnamon chip scone recipes call for.  I don't keep it on hand - I know I could make "buttermilk" but that wouldn't keep within the simplicity of this recipe.  Here is the recipe I use.

Above is a picture of my scones (at the bottom of the plate).  At the top are my cinnamon chip, coconut, oat bran muffins.  One of the muffins, along with 2 slices of turkey bacon, and a Greek yogurt - and a cup of coffee - make up my morning breakfast.  Boy, am getting hungry right now.

The oat bran muffins came about because of the diet I was/am on, requiring consumption of 2-4 tablespoons of oat bran a day - depending on what phase of the Dukan Diet I was in.   Oat bran is so blah and the recipe I had for oat bran muffins was so blah, so I came up with my own - after I got to the last stage of the diet.  With the above breakfast, I can putter along quite a bit for around 5 hours before I start to feel the ole tummy telling me "it's time".  And the recipe is so quick.  Here it is, if you are interested:

Preheat oven to 350º

Mix all dry ingredients together:
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp oat bran
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
2 tbsp sugar-free vanilla pudding
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1-1/2 tbsp favorite sweetener

Mix all wet ingredients together:
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp fat-free plain Greek yogurt
2 tbsp fat-free Cool Whip
2 tbsp fat-free sour cream

Note:  sometimes I like to add my favorite seedless preserve - about 1 tbsp
Whisk dry ingredients into wet ingredients until well mixed.  I like to add a handful of shredded coconut and about a handful of the Hershey Cinnamon Chips. Use your imagination.

Fill 5 muffin cups (I use the paper liners) about 2/3rds full.  Sometimes I have to fill them a little bit fuller.  They don't rise very much so you'd be safe with even 3/4ths full.
Bake for 20 minutes or at least until a toothpick comes out clean.  Cool.  I keep mine in the freezer until I need one.

Hey, if you like a Black Cherry Cream soda pop, here's a good one.  Made in Texas and really hard to find in stores.  It is Henry Weinhard's Black Cherry Cream.  My son brought me a case of it for Christmas and he had to order it online.  Think they are better known for their beer. Have no idea if the beer is any good.

Well, Superbowl is over.  Don't watch it but do like to see the commercials.

I forgot to add that I happen to get my gluten-free oat bran from Montana Gluten-Free Processors in Belgrade, MT.  Lots of gluten-free products for those that need to be gluten-free.

6 comments:

  1. So glad to see your oat bran muffin recipe again. I had lost the one you sent and was embarrassed to ask for it again. Now I have it!

    I bet the black cherry cream soda would be good!

    I still haven't started on my diet.... still fluffy as ever and we're already into February.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you guys have had a lot to deal with lately and as life settles down, you'll be able to focus. The holidays put a few pounds on me, so have somewhat gone strict with the diet but not as good as I should be. Hope the truck & trailer repairs are worked out to your satisfaction. Glad you weren't hurt.

      Delete
  2. Awwww now I'm hungry! Thanks for the recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe a nice "baking day" will come along for you to try them out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks so tasty! And healthy!

    Great to have the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have made these in my trailer's little toaster oven. Have had to add 5-8 minutes to the cooking time with my oven. Wanted to check that so can continue to make the muffins while traveling in the trailer.

      Delete