Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Not Just Another Birthday

Nope, at this time in life - birthdays are a celebration.  Tuesday (Jan 29th) was house mate's 72nd birthday.

I fixed the dinner he wanted - tacos.  I slow cooked a roast seasoned with chili (Machaca) for our meat filling; and, had the usual lettuce, tomato, shredded cheese, etc for additional filling.  We had Mexican potatoes with Poblano Pepper where I got the recipe from my favorite Mexican food recipe site.  I had guacamole and a layered cracker dip.  I attempted margaritas but the mix wasn't very good, not my usual.  And, then we had a delicious chocolate cake for desert.  I learned years ago, when using a packaged cake mix to whip up the liquids into a froth before adding the cake mix - cake turns out light as a feather.

Daughter came over to help us eat the creation and her dog Buster got a little for his effort of being so cute.


And, have started my spring cleaning list . . . Yep, have started my spring to-do list.  I cleaned the kitchen exhaust fan last week.  On my developing list: clean oven (I use an ammonia soak overnight), file away last year's receipts after completing income tax (no filing for us, not enough income), pull the washer & dryer out from the wall to clean the accumulated lint (plus the vent), finish the trailer's black out window covers (insulation covers now), start pricing items for the citywide garage sale activity in early June, make more ribbon windsocks.  I have a lot of other projects in the back of my mind that will wait until warmer weather.

Oh my green chile gummies - they are almost gone.  My son sent some to my brother and he just LOVES them too.  Daughter tried one last night and she didn't really like it, not quite what she expected.


I have been rationing myself to one-a-day.  I have enough for a week - NOT.  I forget if I  had one that day, so I have another gummy just to make sure I get my daily ration!

6 comments:

  1. Meal sounds great, and Buster looks a lot like Sally from what I can see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buster is a Blue Heeler - that's why I fell in love with Sally - the resemblence, though Sally is half the height of Buster!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great birthday celebration! And thanks for the tip on whipping the liquids for the cake. That's news I can use!

    Too funny about making sure you don't accidentally forget your daily green chile gummies!

    Oh... tadaaaaah! I got my kitchen exhaust fan cleaned, too, a couple of weeks ago. That's as far as I got on my list, though. Hope you do better than I did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if we keep having this overcast, cold and occasional snow I might get my current spring cleaning list completed by the time spring gets here! Today is the filing of '12's essential records to keep and to do some baking.

      Delete
  3. Oh, your list was so inspiring! I hope I can get some things accomplished when we return. Just want to get rid of so much.

    We are still traveling with your windsock! It rarely gets to blow in the wind as the awning is seldom put up, but it hangs nicely by the door as a remembrance of a very special lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Lynne. They are so much fun - really relaxing - to make 'cause I do them in the trailer.

      Delete