Monday, September 3, 2012

Oh No, Another 100º Day (and another), Plus Getting Ready. . . .

Summer just doesn't want us to forget her - threw a 105º day at us on Sunday before Labor Day and 106º on Labor Day.   Let us not forget the meaning of Labor Day - dedicated to the social and economic achievements of American workers (and this doesn't mean you Wall Street "workers").

Preparations to Eggie for our participation in the Kansas Egg-stravaganza this week at Farnum Corp of Engineers campground just outside Junction City, have been my focus since early August, after I finished painting the garage.  He has not had a thorough cleaning inside and out for over 2 years!  The last two summers, I workamped at an RV park starting in May.  I never really cleaned the trailer up good from top to bottom, nor tended to some repairs or improvements that needed to be done.

Ain't that frame beautiful?
The yellow is the insulation placed
above my refrigerator.
I have posted, in earlier posts, some of the things that have been done so far - new curtains, fixed the "screen door" to work better, stabilize the microwave, bolt the converter in more securely so it won't walk across the floor when traveling, painted the black water tank's drain pipe black after removing the peeling black duck tape to reveal a white drain pipe.  The rust on the trailer frame is getting taken care of and the underside will be attempted after I get home and before winter.  Added extra insulation around my fairly new refrigerator - if it stays hot this week, may find out if it helps. And the blinds were removed and cleaned

Alas, the leak at the front of the Fantastic Fan is still there and it is predicted that we will have some rain later this week.  The rally organizer is even helping that along by borrowing a surplus tent for us to huddle under.

See the shiny look?
 Pretty good for an old duck.
The top of the trailer has one coat of wax on it, but really need to spend some time up there as the gel coat (fiberglass trailer for those not familiar who Eggie is) is pretty pitted and needs attention.  Since we are on water restrictions here, I had to get creative on "washing" the trailer.  It got washed but by one bucket of water at a time, to conserve water.  It turned out pretty clean.  Then I applied a marine fiberglass restorer that removed the oxidation and put a light coat of wax on.  To top that off, I have been applying a glazing compound to bring out the shine.  I should be applying another coat of liquid wax after that, but my upper arms are protesting.  I use 3M Marine fiberglass products.  He's looking pretty spiffy for an "old man of 12 years old".

Ribbon windsocks I make.
Meanwhile, I have been working on the ribbon windsocks, think I'll have around 35 to take with me.  The vacuum cleaner has been used to clean the carpeted inside, cupboards cleaned out, the bathroom cleaned, water lines flushed of RV anti-freeze, hanging rods to transport all the windsocks have been put up and tested, refrigerator cleaned and was turned on today to start cooling down, groceries bought, clothes loaded, tires checked and aired up - they only lost 4 psi in the last year.  I even took the rig out for a test run last Friday and realized the only step I didn't do was to tighten the stabilizer after putting it on.
99¢ box w/lid from WalMart, punched holes in side to
hold paper roller.
I even made a new toilet paper cover for the bathroom, so it won't get wet when I shower. I can even roll the paper!

Meals for housemate have been fixed and he has a menu of what to choose from.  He doesn't cook - besides my cook stove can be kind of scary sometimes.  Burners get too hot or not hot enough, oven overheats and dries foods out if not played with.  Old electric stove from waaaaaaay back when.

I made the picture small so it
wouldn't look so bad
I think I "embarrassed" Big Red by covering him up while he was parked under the bird tree.  The area birds love to sit in the tree in the afternoon; plus the elm tree is a terrible pitch tree too.  The trailer is already hitched from Friday's test run and I just left them there.  A neighbor wanted to cut some tree branches today and I had to move the trailer.

Well, it's off to bed and then tomorrow will finish what I didn't get done today.  I hope to be on the road by 11 a.m.


No comments:

Post a Comment