Sunday, July 8, 2012

Time to Spend More Time in the Cool of AC

Thank heavens we are not experiencing as many 100º+ days as last year, we are up to 13 - 100+º days so far this year.  Today was a very cool 90º in our back yard.

The windows in the house are all done now - curtains cleaned, blinds clean, glass cleaned
I know you can't see "clean", but I can.
inside and out, inside window frames painted and the outside frames cleaned, even including the caulking is clean.  I did some touch up on the doorways throughout the house too, since I had the matching paint on hand. I did add some Reflectic to the west windows to cut down the heat coming through the windows.  Works really good.  There is a picture below with the Reflectic in the window.

The new grass in the backyard is looking good, except for the crabgrass, but that's later.

I am 98% done on the trailer's dinette window curtains.  I wish I had made the side additions a little bit longer, so will "fill" in to make the look a bit more balanced.  They are hung on double curtain rods and I can slide the white curtains back and forth and tie them to the side.

My 16 foot trailer does not have a screen door, so a number of years ago I made a screen door, hanging some screen from a shower curtain rod.  It is pretty basic, in fact a bit on the short side.  I intended, one day, to make it longer and wider.  The length was just about 1-2 inches shy of touching the floor and 2-3 inches short in the width.

I added the striped material at top, plus left side.
The day to work on the door screen finally came.  Since I had left over material, from covering the cushion and fixing the length of the dinette valance, I added extra stripped fabric to the top, dropping the original screen down 2-3 inches; I added a band of stripped fabric on the left side of the screen, added 5 grommets to attach that side, via drapery hooks, to the carpeted wall closing off an opening for bugs to get around.  Plan A didn't work, neither did Plan B, Plan C was getting there but it took a combination of Plan D and C to secure the screen.  It is longer and wider now.  I "tried" to add magnets on the right side - the side I pull aside to enter or exit the trailer.  That was part of Plan A;  Plan B included using magnets on the left side to the AC frame.  And, with my pacemaker I didn't really want to add more magnets around me.

As far as more sewing projects go,
I have one more trailer cushion cover to make and and with the left over fabric I am making a hanging pocket organizer.  It will drape over the closet door.  On the side that fits inside the closet, there is a pocket to hold papers - especially my Checkoff list.  The outside will have various size pockets for odds and ends.

So far this year, the expenditures for the projects have been very little.  The striped fabric was purchased several years ago when I covered the boat chairs; the only paint I have bought has been the yellow for the bathroom and the two quarts were $5 for both, since they were a wrong mix for someone else - I had plenty of paint brushes; I bought the drapery hooks (96¢) this year, the grommets last year are left overs from the trailer's window shade project.  I did buy a curtain panel for the house bathroom window ($7), that I split that between that window and the trailer dinette window.

The garage paint job will be another thing.  Paint, new trim, nails.  With the heat hitting us now, the window to work on the garage is in the mornings for just a few hours.

You know, I just remembered I haven't even removed the winter's anti-freeze out of my plumbing in the trailer, . . . . oops another job to do.

Finally, got started on the garage.  The garage is white with some gray trim - that's what the house was like when I bought it.  I added siding in a sage green color with white trim windows; and, then I added a little decorative look to the windows.
West side of garage.
I wanted to match what I did on the house as much as possible - paint, trimming, use of same colors.  The garage was built in the 40's or 50's and is covered with decorative tar paper.
Finished front of garage.
Fortunately, there is a coat or two of white paint
already on, so that will make it somewhat easier applying the sage green color.  I am not going to the extent of giving dimension to the garage windows like I did with the house windows  to keep my costs down.

Still haven't mastered all these Blogspot changes.  Don't understand HTML, so I guess ALL the time, that's why there are these huge spaces, pictures over lettering.  Humph, must be those young creators that don't understand how the older mind doesn't work certain ways anymore.

Well anyway, since I only have the front of the garage done, you know what my next few weeks will be filled with.  I tried a roller brush, but spent more time putting paint on the roller then rollering.  I am using brushes to paint the garage.

Updates on diet:  I have lost 18 pound so far, have 16 more to go.  It's nice to have lose fitting clothes.  I haven't stuck 100% to the diet rules., but still slowly loosing the pounds.  This week I've had cravings for lemon flavorings and ended up buying a big tub of lemon sherbet - hey it's low fat and I left the sugar in it at the store!

Daughter still has my truck to get her back and forth to work.  It'll be toward the end of this month before they start working on it.  The body shop is very popular and they guarantee their work, so she is sticking with them.  She did try a friend's Bronco, but the heat took it's to toll on it between vapor lock and overheating.

Okay until next time.  Back to the garage painting - tomorrow.

PS Made the print on my blog screen bigger - for those of us with aging eyesight, cataracts, and whatever ails us.

3 comments:

  1. Emily, I can't read the super small fancy script writing on your blg.... but I liked the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. New font is beautiful!!! Love it! My eyes thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily, you've been busy! Congratulations on getting all those projects done.

    I really like the idea of curtains over the blinds in your Casita. I am one of those weird people who really likes blinds, but I love the soft look and the more secure sense of privacy of your combination.

    I also like your cushion fabric and the idea of making hanging storage for the closet door with matching fabric.

    I have some leftover upholstery fabric.... hmmmmmm. :)

    ReplyDelete