Saturday, November 5, 2011

Goodbyes, Turkey Texas and the Long Haul Home.

It's always hard to say good bye to good friends. Geri and Chuck are such super hosts and I came to see why they love Truth or Consequences. It will definitely be a good home location for them when they decide it's time to stay put (that won't be for quite a while yet). I like TorC too.
I decide to meet my son in San Antonio at The Owl Bar for one last good green chile cheeseburger. We had a short lunch. I wanted to just hang around and be with him but I still had a way to go on this first day and he needed to get back to work in Socorro. Ya, ya I shed the tears for the next 30 miles; but as soon as I saw the snow on the mountains I told myself to get it together since didn't really know what I would encounter. Assumed the roads would be okay as it had been warm and they would still be fairly warm to melt any snow. I was traveling US380 eastward toward Roswell and Bottomless Lakes State Park.

I had some light snow through the mountains and misty rain to Roswell, highway was fine. Made it through Roswell and followed the signs to Bottomless Lakes SP. For most part, roads weren't too bad. 'Course I kept thinking about my converter bouncing around. I did manage to stabilize it somewhat by putting my step stool (now with a bent leg when I backed the trailer over it at Chloride) up against it (to the right) and turning the wastepaper basket on its side to keep both of them from moving. Will have to put some blocks of wood on the inside of the converter's cabinet and drill holes through the wood and replace with longer bolts to secure the converter - sometime after I get home. Current holes have been damaged.

The area around Bottomless Lakes is "interesting". "Bottomless Lakes are a chain of 8 lakes that are actually sinkholes that range from 17 to 90 feet deep. They were formed when circulating water dissolved salt & gypsum deposits to form subterranean caverns. Eventually, the roofs of the caverns collapsed from their own weight. Sinkholes resulted and soon filled with water & formed the existing lakes." from the hand out. First pictures are from a bluff over
looking the campground and Lea Lake.

There is a huge day use area and swimming area.Geri mentioned that the pull thrus were huge and they are. I bet one could get 3 (at least) Casitas w/tow vehicles, if not 4 Casitas w/tows in one pull thru. The Park is open year round and are very nice. I was told by the park host that the shower room was heated and the water nice and hot - not! The water was tepid. The left is a view from my campsite of the red gypsum bluff. And right is the swimming area with the low overhanging clouds that hung around the mountains to the west.

The next morning I got away about an hour later than usual because I decided to take the time to do some cleaning and put some more RV antifreeze into the water lines. I had initially put antifreeze in the water lines the day before leaving TorC, but learned with the use of the toilet, I lost some. Not much, but some. I put antifreeze in the lines because I wasn't sure what "freezing" or "below freezing" weather I would encounter at home - besides it is better for me to put the RV antifreeze in when it's warm versus a cold temperature. I would empty the holding tanks later and add the antifreeze.

I continued on US380 until the little town of Post TX (yes, there is a strong connection to C.W. Post, the cereal manufacturer), then headed north on TX 207 toward Rails, then take US62/TX207 to Floydada. My plan was to either stay in Floydada or move on to Turkey TX. Turkey is the boyhood home of Bob Wills, known as the King of Western Swing. I had the chance to meet him around 50 years ago in Flagstaff AZ at the Museum Club.

Since I had trouble finding the camping area in Floydada, that Geri told me about (and I got blank looks at two places I stopped), I headed to Turkey TX. I took US62/US70 eastward until I reached TX 70. North on TX 70 for about 20 miles until I reached Turkey.

Caprock Canyon SP is just a little west of Turkey and when I stopped at a convenience store to get directions, a lady across the counter from me said: "No, you can stay here in our little city park. Have you been to the Bob Wills Museum?" "Okay", I said and no to the museum. She told me to drive down this street and park in front of the fire house and her husband would come down and show me where to park.

I parked in front of this brand new fire house and in 5 minutes her husband, Alfred, was there. He told me that they had had the day before 1.5" of rain in a couple of hours and that the road to the camping area (can fit 12 units, w/water & electric, in there by the way) in the city park was muddy. I could park here in the group shelter area. So as I was maneuvering the trailer around, he said to park under the shelter roof. I did. Alfred works for the City of Turkey, so I guess it was okay to park that way. Sure had a lot of spectators that evening and the next morning before I left. (Oh, I paid something for my site, even though Alfred said it wasn't necessary.)

Well, Alfred asked if I would like to go through the Museum and I said yes. He went home and called Lorene. Alfred's wife came back about 15 minutes later and said that Lorene would open the Museum for me the next morning at 10:30. Well, since I wasn't in any big hurry, that was okay. The next morning I had breakfast at a local cafe up the street. The proprietor asked if I was that little trailer that was down at the City Park. He told me stories about Turkey as I was eating.

After breakfast, I drove up to the Museum which is located in the former school building along with the City Hall. Lorene opened the Museum up and turned a video about Bob Wills on for me. Oh, Lorene is over 90 years old and full of stories. I watched the video all the way through and read every sign and informational piece. It is a very nice and professional done Museum and I recommend it.

After spending an hour going through it, I left for home, continuing on TX70, until I reached US 83 and headed northward. I spent the night at an RV park so I could empty my holding tanks and put the remaining RV antifreeze in both of the tanks. Overall, I liked the way I came home, the roads overall were pretty good and there was enough "diversions" - scenery, little towns - to keep the drive from getting boring. Am sure I will be taking that direction again when I head to New Mexico.


3 comments:

  1. You are welcome to come to our home in T or C anytime! It was great to see you again! The visit was just too short!

    ReplyDelete
  2. FYI Emily, PETA want Turkey, TX to change their name......Just thought you should know that!!!!
    Chuck

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank heavens, the folks of Turkey TX are smart.

    ReplyDelete