Friday, September 17, 2010

My Summer Work Stint is Over

This subject is difficult for me and I have been avoiding writing anything. I have mixed feelings so bare with me.

I worked at High Plains Camping, at Exit 70 on I-70 at Oakley Kansas this summer. I started May 3, working 3 days a week through Labor Day weekend. During harvest time I worked 10 days, as not only was the Park busy with summer travelers, but there were a number of custom harvesters there for anywhere from 3/4 days to a number of weeks. I also worked 5 days in a row, while the owner took 5 days off and got out of town. I worked the gardens, watered, weeded, did a little mowing, cleaned the restrooms (not that bad there at least), picked up any trash around the sites, visited, opened the office in the morning, kept the barn (which is a "social hall") orderly, pulled sand burrs and goathead burrs like crazy, killed ants; and after I pretty much learned the basics of the office told the owner to go take 5 days off and let's see how much I've learned.

Mary is the owner of the Park and she put out a request on Facebook to her friends asking if anyone would like to come help her this summer. I thought this would be a good opportunity to "learn the other side of the counter". And, it was. Mary and I have become good friends, having become friends through Twitter first, then Facebook, then in person. I did stay at her Park last Fall at the beginning of my trip to the Dakotas and Iowa.

She is, well me at age 50 - able to multi-task, good organization, a head for stats, is on top of the latest marketing methods, a gregarious person, very knowledgeable about the RV industry and RV park industry, hard worker, loves cats, has a wealth of friends. But, but you can keep all this high energy up for only so long when you don't let yourself have some real quality time with yourself and let your hair down. I know, I've been there. There isn't much a friend can do but be there to listen and lend a shoulder, because the victim doesn't hear or realize what is happening until the meltdown has started. I had my daughter to help me through my mess and will eternally be grateful for that. It took a long time to recover. Mary's guest base now is mostly empty-nesters and soon the snowbirds will be heading south, so her pace is slower; and, think she is taking "me time". Love ya Mary.

I liked the part of being there for her and believe that my agreeing to be there for her this summer was meant to be. Doing the physical work was good for me physically. It kept "arthur"itis at bay and I gradually acclimated myself to the dryer climate and the heat. I am glad, for me, that I only worked 3 days a week as when I would come home on Thursday all I did was sleep! I had to be very careful about not letting myself get dehydrated and did a few times, adding to my fatigue. I met a lot of interesting people - and animals, mostly dogs and even a parrot. Met some folks who own a Casita like mine. Saw some really beautiful rigs and a few beautifully restored vintage trailers. Neighbor Mike and Farmer David are new friends, I am proud to say. My little Eggie and I made it through some pretty tough storms at the beginning of the summer with winds getting up to 60-65 mph and we put up with the 100+ heat later in the summer. I did not like the bull snakes though. I even made it through the 5 days running the Park by myself, without pulling my hair out. I did crash at home though.

Originally, I had a nice list of projects/objects I would spend my hard earned income on. Well, the medical bills weren't on the list, neither was the new windshield, nor trying to find a new air conditioner for the trailer, nor a new laptop; but, I did get a new passenger side mirror for the truck (been driving around with a busted one wrapped with clear duct tape for 3 years), and I didn't have to ask my housemate help with paying the guy who mows the lawn.

Okay, would I do this again? No, is my answer right now. I'm not going to say "never" though.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like an interesting summer! Chuck and I have discovered that no matter how much you like who you are working for, 6 months is about 3 months too long! We are now only considering 3-4 month workamping jobs!

    ReplyDelete