Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Whoo, a Part-Time Summer Job!

I am starting next week working 3-days a week for the summer at High Plains Camping in Oakley Kansas. I'll be working in the gardens and yards, cleaning restrooms/showers and laundry room, some office work when Mary, the owner, needs to tend to other business outside the office.

I met Mary through Twitter around a year ago, stayed at her place for a couple of nights on my last trip and we both hit it off as friends. I like the hot tubs at her place.

She is a single woman running this multiple award winning Park. Mary has earned a well deserved fantastic reputation among her peers across the State and across the country. She's very energetic and I just hope I can keep up with her. An almost year of retirement has mellowed me.

I'll be taking Eggie out there as my living quarters, so have been getting him ready. He needs a wash and wax job, which I hope to start (I said start) tomorrow. The winds are suppose to be blowing 30-40-50 mph so don't know how far I'll get. Anyway, will be replacing the tint on the windows and getting new tire covers to protect them against the sun, my neighbor drilled a couple of drain holes in my spare tire holder I had made last year, stocking up with duplicate food and toiletry items so I don't have to haul back and forth and getting the bugs chased out.

I had a trial run last week, when Mary participated in some "professional experiencing" and I stayed there at the Park. She has it running pretty much by itself, but I was to be around to answer questions or help the guests, do garden work but didn't get much done as the weather wasn't very cooperative, keep the restrooms/showers and laundry room cleaned. I enjoyed it; but, found out how mellow I really have become!

As a special treat this week, Joy and Les of Wichita KS, fellow Casita owners, are stopping by on Thursday and spending the night at the City's little campground on the lake. They will be attending Th'Gatherin' at Cedar Bluff State Park, near WaKeeney KS.

Then the following weekend, I head to Dodge City to see friends Sarah and Sherry. I get to meet Sarah's daughter's fiance. As one of the "hens" I have to give my approval to that little chick Courtney's rooster-to-be. That's the rule. I will also be attending a play written by friend Chris Pyle, called "Spirit Gum" and put on by the Depot Theater Company players.

I had better remember to take my camera to get pictures of everything I have been writing about.

I haven't finished the porch painting yet, but almost have the 4 front window trim project completed - this week I hope. I painted a couple of planters a blue to match the blue in the house numbers and planted a lantana in each one. The flowers in the flower boxes are starting to fill in the gaps, the other garden flowers are looooooking good. Brandon mowed the grass for the first time a couple of weeks ago and he'll be back anytime now. I bought a rain barrel but it's going to be awhile before I get the guttering put up around the back door that will feed into the barrel.

If you happen to be traveling on I-70 in western Kansas and are near Exit 70 and it's Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday stop by High Plains Camp and say "hi". I'll be around somewhere.

Well that's it for now. I just have to end with the following picture. I have a good chuckle every time I drive by it.

1 comment: