Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Soap Box time


And the puzzle, well . . . . .






We have had some nice Spring days lately, and some snow and some rain. On those nice days, I have been raking up the last of last Fall's leaves and twigs in the back yard, working on my ribbon windsocks.



I finished the window trim on the front windows. Next I will do the front windows on the west and east side of the house for now. I'll work my way back as the $$ become available - after an unexpected project on the porch showed it's ugly head.

Tuesday, this week, Ed came to install the porch post supports. That's the backside of Ed.Here's an old post

Here's a new post

Oh ya, the ugly head: lead-based paint peeling really bad off the ceiling of the porch. It has been falling off the ceiling quite a bit the last week or so. Ed explained the new Lead-based paint EPA laws that go into affect on 4/22 of this year. Geez, now in houses built before 1974, there are all kinds of things that will dictate how hired contractors can do things in those older homes that will involve even breaking a seal on paints - certain kinds of exhaust fans, sealing off rooms, wearing biohazard suits, throwing away exposed clothes and on and on. And the contractors have to be certified by the government. I jokingly said I would like to replace the plaster walls with wallboard is what got the discussion started. And upon further reading, I learned now when there is a buyer/seller relationship or a landlord/tenant relationship disclosure has to be made about the potential exposure to lead-based paints.

Okay, I know big Uncle Sam is looking out for our best interests - right (?) and that of a whole new industry too! One of the things that can be done is to cover up the culprit and so now am getting the ceiling covered sometime soon. An expense I hadn't budget for - but hey isn't that what happens when you do some remodeling? Well, at least if I get lead poisoning, I'll have a medical plan in place to take care of me (I hope).

Think of all the old homes that need remodeling. Now that cost of remodeling, unless you are the owner and chose to do that yourself then these laws don't apply to the owner, is skyrocketing and probably won't get done due to the extended cost. There's a lot of older folks who live in pre-1974 built homes and there are a lot of young folks who live in those pre-1974 homes - two groups who generally can't afford fixing up the pre-1974 property they own. So don't buy a pre-1974 house (unless your fortunate like my daughter). Hopefully, daughter if you have to sell your pre-1974 built house, you don't have to do much "proving" that there isn't any leadbased paint in your house, since it was totally gutted and rebuilt in the '90's. Am getting off my soapbox.

Oh, here's the puzzle progress now

No comments:

Post a Comment