Saturday, June 27, 2009

A Nice R&R Retirement Get Away

I planned on doing NOTHING, NOTHING, NOTHING. I did NOTHING, NOTHING, NOTHING except sleep, nap, take morning walks, and read. I ate once in a while. It was hot/humid the whole time; luckily the AC worked. There were threats of storms two nights, but nothing happened. There were tornadoes in the central part of the State Wed night.

Harlan County Lake is just over the KS/NE state line between Alma and Republican City NE. Built as a flood control lake, it has served the area well as a recreational lake also. There are two COE campgrounds: Methodist Camp and Hunter Cove, both located on the north shore. Methodist Camp is closer to Alma while Hunter Cove, where I stayed, is just a few miles from Republican City. The Republican River is the main river serving the Lake and is named after the Republican band of the Pawnees that lived and hunted the river valley. I have posted my pictures on my Flickr account - click on the Flickr Update to the right below the swimming fish. Have you fed the fish yet?

I did read 3 of Sue Henry's books on the adventures of Maxie and her mini-dachshund Stretch. I read: The Serpents Trail, The Tooth of Time, and The Refuge. I'll stock up on books from time to time and leave them in the trailer so they are there when I take off. On books I have purchased and finished reading, I'll often leave them along the way - laundromats, campgrounds, small town libraries. Often I'll pick up some in return and take with me to read and then leave somewhere else.

I did leave the campground once - to go into Rep City to have a meal at the Old Mexico Restaurant. When our family lived in Phillipsburg, KS we would occasionally go to Rep City to eat at Little Mexico. Well, it had moved down to the Lake and is now known as Little Mexico on the Lake and wasn't open when I went by so I went to Old Mexico and had THE BEST, the BEST chimichanga I have ever had - even in New Mexico! For dessert I had to try their sopaipillas. Oh my, they were just to die for. I hate those that bring out flour tortillas that have been deep fried and sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar, honey, ice cream, whipped topping or whatever. Nope sopaipillas are those triangle shaped puffy things of dough and give me a jar of honey and I'll eat till I am stuffed. The owners of the two restaurants are sisters so maybe, just maybe, the food is still good at Little Mexico on the Lake.

When I was getting ready to leave on Thursday, I did discover why I was having so much trouble with my left rear stabilizer falling down at every little bump when traveling. The spring came loose, so when got back into town stopped at ye old friendly auto body shop and the owner fixed it for me.

I did try out a new grill I got. I got a little Coleman Fold 'N Go grill. It takes up much less space and worked pretty good. Wednesday nite I grilled some corn on the cob and a rib eye steak. I found a recipe for chili butter and put that on the steak just before taking off the grill and used it on my corn instead of just butter.

Wednesday night around 9:30 I had an unexpected visitor come into the trailer. A little titmouse, not the bird. His eyes were sooooooo big and his ears so cute, so instead of letting him stay I carefully chased him out. All I would need would be a mouse in the trailer. And, besides there wouldn't be any other little tit mouses around here and he'd get lonely.

Back at home now. Am finding I need a loose schedule of when I do weekly chores - laundry, cleaning, etc - just so I know what day it is! I have gotten use to not thinking of workdays. Have got the trailer cleaned out and almost ready for the next trip - whenever the whim hits me now. Wow, what a feeling. Hate the heat and humidity though. Am going to be working on painting my "trailer quilt" pattern on the spare tire cover. When I came home through KY last year, I saw lots of barn quilts, so I though why not a "trailer quilt". My pattern is, appropriately, called Four Winds. I'll post a picture when I get it done. In fact, am thinking of a "Barn Quilt" tour to Iowa, Illinois, and Ohio sometime. I am also learning how to make ribbon wind socks. Well, until later. Have a good summer.

1 comment:

  1. You might check into this book sharing method
    www.bookcrossing.com

    Congrats on your retirement!

    ReplyDelete