Friday, April 11, 2008

The Buzzzzzzing of the Blinds!


I left the Blue Heron SP campground in a rain. It rained and rained and rained. Before leaving I went down into the canyon to see the Nat’l Park Services interpretative construction of the former coal mining town - Blue Heron. It was even raining harder and clouds were climbing the hills I had just come down. Four or five guys were down fishing and they probably thought “tourist in rain, stupid” thoughts, but thoughts are mutual. The NPS had built outline buildings of a number of buildings - company store, school, house, other structures instrumental to telling the story of coal mining. Each building had script you could read about that particular structure. There are narratives from locals also in each structure that relate meaning and stories about the company store say. I enjoyed the venture around the town and would recommend it, but not when it was pouring down. I later thought back about how high the creek must have risen with the subsequent rainfall. Wonder if the fisherman stayed? Stupid, if they did.

My drive to Paris continued in rain. I worked my way over to I-75, via US-27 to KY-914, K-80, K-481; drove northward to KY-627 just north of Richmond and came out at Winchester on I-64. I crossed over I-64 and continued on K-627 to Paris. It was a very narrow road winding through beautiful horse farm area. What I could see while navigating the curves and hills and curves on top of hills, I fell in love with. My friend Bonnie said I picked the worse way into Paris. I called her at Winchester to get directions to her house. I got thru all those turns and lights okay until I went one block too far on her street. I called her and said “I am on Redbud Street, how do I get to your street?” She’d never heard of Redbud Street so had no idea what directions to give me. Okay, I turned around in a cul-de-sac and went back to a main street and started over from that point. And, wala I was only one block off!

I parked the rig on the street until her son Todd (5th one done on page) came home from work at Indian Creek Farms. Because she had a curvy downhill driveway and to the right I decided to let the expert back down. He did a dang good job too and made it look so easy. He said it was a lot harder than it looked because he’s not use to single axles.

Bonnie is one tough cookie. She comes from a farming and ranching background. She got into the horse business first with quarter horses and then thoroughbreds a number of years ago. Meanwhile, over the last 14 years she has had to endure 6 rounds of chemo treatments for breast cancer. Each time she was able to come thru and then a couple years later she endured another session of treatments. This time it’s rougher on her as it is in her bones and several lymph nodes; but, she’s determined to beat it and has found the best way to do it is by staying busy as long as her strength lets her. Hence, we were busy doing things all the time I was there for a week.

I did some laundry and Bonnie fixed a delicious dinner. About the time we went to bed, it started raining, and it rained and it rained. She has a creek behind her house and fortunately her house is rather high on a hill. During the night, a lightening bolt broke very close to the house and the first time I heard the metal blinds buzzzzzzzing, I didn’t know what it was. A few seconds later, again a lightening bolt broke right over the house (we found no evidence of a burn spot anywhere in the yard, so assume it was a cloud to cloud bolt) and once again the blinds buzzzzzzed. Each time my bedroom was lit up brighter than daylight. A third time the bolt broke nearby, the blinds did not respond. I know it was the blinds making the noise. Didn’t get much sleep that night as it kept raining and thundering until daylight.

No comments:

Post a Comment