Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Oh my, Mardi Gras is really something






Jeri and I spent the day in New Orleans. She drove me around to different areas of the City and we saw the re-construction that has taken place since Katrina and we saw what is in process and what hasn't been done. We saw more that has been completed. She took me down part of the French Quarter, drove past other areas and then went to her daughter's house near St Charles St, where one of the 2 parades for Mardi Gras Eve would go by. It is really something and is a show watching the spectators set up. Am including some pictures of what we saw here.

The first picture shows the "parade ladders" with decorated seats on top; 2nd is one of the trees that "grow beads" this time of year; 3rd is a float on a wagon (only allowed) and is from the second oldest parade (since 1882)-the Krewe of Proteus; 4th is a float from the Krewe of Orpheus started in 1994 by Harry Connick, Jr.; and 5th - it is tiring wearing all these beads! Hey, Sherri and Sarah, I have a few beads for you!

For more informations about the history of New Orleans Mardi Gras. Here are some FAQ about Mardi Gras that I didn't know.

I'll have more later. Jeri and I are getting ready to head to southwestern Louisiana and take The Creole Scenic Byway tour - one of the oldest National Scenic Byways.

No comments:

Post a Comment