Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Just a brief report of Today's Visit

to the Apalachicola National Estuarine Research Reserve. This is part of the National Estuarine Research System and this particular one was established in 1979. I saw all kinds of shells, skulls, birds, took the Nature Trail and learned about the plant life in the different "communities".

There is the Floodplain Forest which has a mix of hardwoods, pines and willow thickets (they are starting to bloom and the bees are just going crazy). There is the Wetlands and Open-Water Habitats which includes fresh water marshes, salt marshes, river, pond and lake, open bay and the Gulf of Mexico.

Upland Habitats includes sandhills covered with pines and scrub trees and then there are the Barrier Island Habitats, such as St George Island. And, if you are a bird watcher, you have it made in this area. The Red Cardinals and Robins are in abundance right now. I have seen lots of pelicans and Turkey Vultures gliding on the updrafts.

I drove back over to Port St Joseph to look at the downtown area. It is one block off the highway and is quaint. Really no buildings in the downtown over one story high. On the way back home, I was getting hungry for a nice big juicy steak; and, since I needed some groceries anyway I stopped off at the local IGA store and included a big T-Bone in my grocery cart. Baked a potato, fixed a little salad and grilled that steak. Oh, was it good. Now I am catching up on reading all the literature I picked up today. I'll finish posting the other half of my pictures tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment